Written by: Mike Leader, Special to CC2K
This morning we have new footage (and poster!) from Watchmen, an image of Heath Ledger in his final role, the new single from Guns 'N Roses, and lots more! Eat it up; breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
– 15 years is a long time to wait for a new album. Guns 'n Roses' Chinese Democracy has become the butt of an endless supply of jokes about indulgent, lazy musicians and long-gestation periods. However, after all the false-starts, scrapped sessions and revolving-door line-ups, it seems that everything is coming together for Axl Rose and the-people-he-hasn't-fired-yet. Lead single from the album, similarly titled 'Chinese Democracy', has been sent to radio stations, and is up on the net for streaming. I wouldn't call it an instant classic; it certainly picks up where the industrial-tinged 'Oh My God', a soundtrack contribution from 1999, left off. Check it out HERE. The full length album will be out whenever Axl Rose feels like it.
– In film news… Joe Dante is back making a horror flick, called The Hole, which will star Teri Polo.
– Marvel are considering a screen adaptation for their character Doctor Strange. It seems to me they're starting to dig beyond their top-tier of household names. Nevertheless, a Doctor Strange movie would be a great excuse for dazzling effects, super-trippy design work and something a little different from other Marvel properties. The film won't be released until 2012 at the earliest, so we have a long time to wait for more info.
– Naomi Watts will be starring in the biopic My Name is Jody Williams as the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize winner.
– Speaking of the Nobel Peace Prize, the lineup for the Nobel Peace Prize Concert in Oslo has been announced. The concert will take place the day after the prize is awarded to former Finnish president and all-round peaceful dude Martti Ahtisaari. It will be presented by Scarlett Johansson, and artists performing include Feist, Seun Kuti and Diana Ross.
– In gaming news, it looks like Bioware's latest Star Wars game will be an ambitious Massively Multiplayer Online RPG called The Old Republic. Check out more details over at Kotaku.
– To finish up with we have an image of Heath Ledger in his final role, the upcoming Terry Gilliam movie The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, coming your way in 2009 [Thanks Slashfilm!] –
– …And we have a new Watchmen trailer (with snippets of new footage) and poster! [Thanks Slashfilm!]