Written by: Tony Lazlo, CC2K Staff Writer
I’m happy to see that Ryan Reynolds knows the Green Lantern oath by heart.
The star of Warner Bros’ upcoming sci-fi epic recited the oath for a youngster who asked an audience question, then later suggested that a raffle prize (his GL ring prop) be awarded to the boy if no one claimed it. (Someone did. Shucks!) But what about the footage?
• The trailer opens with Mark Strong’s narration as Sinestro guiding you in a GL training exercise.
• The movie looks great — helicopters, chases, aliens and lots and lots of flight. Director Martin Campbell noted that the crew built unique flying apparatus for all the cast members.
• Hal generates a big green fist in the trailer (no boxing glove, though).
• Campbell also said that Hal Jordan and Carol Ferris (Blake Lively) will both fly F-35s in the movie, and that aviation lent something of a thematic backbone to the flick.
• DC guru Geoff Johns described three main GL characters as such: Kilowog is Hal’s drill sergeant; Sinestro his mentor; Tomar-Ta his spiritual adviser.
• Will the Star Sapphires be the villains in the second movie? Lively said she can’t wait to be a villain and kick Hal’s ass in the second movie.
• Along with Hector Hammond, Parallax will be a villain in this movie, suggesting that the origin told will include elements of Geoff Johns recent reboot of the GL comics.
• Pursuant to that point, Johns described what’s at stake for this movie: The DC Universe.
“Anything that DC is going to do will depend on this movie.”
• Pursuant to that point: Johns also suggested that a shared DCU — a la Marvel — might be in the works.
• Johns didn’t rule out the appearance of just about any other GL character — Alan Scott, etc. — and he also said a JLA movie is a possibility, though it sounded like he was working in the realm of conjecture.
• Mark Strong seemed pumped to play Sinestro. He was wearing a track suit and generally looking fit and slightly gangster-ish, and he was smiling his ass off.
• We saw a lot of Blake Lively’s boobs in this panel. Her dress was cut to the floor.
Author: Tony Lazlo, CC2K Staff Writer
Robert J. Peterson is a writer and web developer living in Los Angeles. A Tennessee native, he graduated from Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism. He’s written for newspapers and websites all over the country, including the Marin Independent Journal, the Telluride Daily Planet, CC2KOnline.com, Offscreen, and Geekscape.net. He co-hosts the podcasts Make It So and Hiram’s Lodge. He’s appeared as a pop-culture guru on the web talk shows Comics on Comics, The Fanbase Press Week In Review, Collider Heroes, ScreenJunkies TV Fights, and Fandom Planet. He’s the founder of California Coldblood Books.