Written by: Laura Hong, CC2K Comics Editor
Happy holidays from CC2K! As 2013 comes to a close, I wanted to equip our readers with feelings of good cheer and inspiration as we head into the New Year.
Like everyone, I’ve had my ups and downs in 2013. Regardless, I like to think that the end of the year shouldn’t be about dwelling about the past and how we should change. It’s about focusing on the wonderful events that took place and channeling that positive energy into the New Year. So let’s do it. Let’s head into 2014 with some positive thinking.
Writing about comics for CC2K for over a year now, I’d like to share with you some of my favorite quotes from comic books that have kept me growing strong and motivated each day. Fair warning, it’s DC Comics heavy. Here they are!
7. “People think it’s an obsession. A compulsion. As if there were an irresistible impulse to act. It’s never been like that. I chose this life. I know what I’m doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn’t that day. And tomorrow won’t be either.” – Batman in Identity Crisis
Okay, I lied. This first one is my boyfriend’s favorite comic quote, but I admit it’s a good one. While Batman may be justifying his crazy actions here, he speaks the truth about life. When the going gets tough, remember why you started. Stay focus, stay determined, and persevere. Batman believes in you!
6. “For guys like us, overcoming great fear is what we do best, but when it comes to guilt, regret…loss. Even Green Lanterns struggle with those. But we don’t have to do it alone.” –Hal Jordan to Kyle Rayner in Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War
We all make mistakes and go through rough patches. But knowing everyone has similar experiences is a good reason to keep moving forward. It’s okay to stumble and fall now and then. However, don’t let your failures define and destroy you. Let it make you stronger. And remember, you are never alone. Your family and friends will always have your back.
5. “At the end of the day, I have to accept that I can control everything… except the things I can’t control.” –Tim Drake in Red Robin: The Hit List
Put the past behind you! Own your mistakes and your accomplishments, and see your ambitions in 2014 through. Sometimes things are out of our control and all we can do is ride the waves. I believe things always turn out for the better. As clichéd as it is, the speed bumps that come our way are only roadblocks leading us to where we should be.
4. “Life doesn’t give us purpose. We give life purpose.” – Barry Allen in Blackest Night
This is one of my all time favorites. I have it up on my wall right above my desk. When I’m miserable in graduate school and have my many existential moments concerning what I’m doing with my life, I always stare at this handy-dandy quote by my favorite scarlet speedster. It puts life into perspective, don’t you think?
3. “I think fear holds a lot of people back. I think it’s important to face your fears and overcome your fears because fear is not real. It’s a survival instinct, but a lot of stuff we’re afraid of isn’t life or death.” –Geoff Johns
I cheated with this one. It’s not from a comic book, but from comic writer Geoff Johns. I stumbled upon it in an old San Diego Comic-Con magazine a few years back and I’ve taken it to heart ever since. I have learned that the smallest dose of fear can hold you back from unleashing your greatest potential. As you head into 2014, ask yourself whether what you’re afraid of doing is going to kill you. If not, what are you waiting for?
2. “Regardless of all the places I’ve been, and the places I’ve yet to go… Right here… Right now… This moment is mine. And once tomorrow is here, there’s no more today.” –Stephanie Brown in Batgirl: The Lesson
Live in the moment. Enough said!
1. “No matter how much we think we know about the people around us… about ourselves… Every day is a new chance for—discovery. Every day is a new chance for—surprises. Every day is a new chance—to get things RIGHT. And if you see every day as just that—an opportunity, and not a dead end… You just might find yourself.” –Barbara Gordon in Batgirl Rising
Considering this is an article embracing the New Year, I found it appropriate to end with what I believe is the greatest motivational quote ever in comic books! It needs no explanation. Just go out there and be awesome!
Alright CC2K readers, are you feeling amazing and pumped up now? Let’s make 2014 a good one!
Author: Laura Hong, CC2K Comics Editor
Laura is a writer based out of the San Francisco Bay Area. When she’s not writing about comics, she’s writing motherboard user manuals for a tech company. She drinks too much milk tea, talks too much Green Lantern, and would marry Barry Allen if he were real.